Friday 23 March 2018

How to inspire every child to be a lifelong reader ...

Ideas Worth Spreading

https://www.ted.com/talks/alvin_irby_how_to_inspire_every_child_to_be_a_lifelong_reader?utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&#t-402406
These are some of the ideas that I am trying to practice in class, and
I know that these practices help motivate and change my students'
attitudes toward reading.
  • Regular reading
  • Regular spelling test/check
  • Regular writing / summarising of the book

And these are some of the ideas that I adopt and plan to use during my reading lessons.
I am currently using them all but I think I need to spend more time on planning the
questions and prompts to use. I have a library corner in the classroom and children
are using it as they wish. Taking them to the library more often will also be a focus
for this year.
  • Teaching and learning should be two ways - co-creative of knowledge
  • Child friendly corner for children to read - could be done anywhere - as long as it connects children to reading
  • Children looks for a book that will make them laugh - if relevant, a male models into early reading literacy

Have a listen and I hope this video inspires you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Step #1 for identifying inquiry focus for 2022

Unpacking and analysing last year's assessment data in week 5 of Term 1 2022 was essential when the school realised that we cannot colle...